Skip main content and go to side navigation

Indoor Safety Tips

Dig Safely

Being a dog, I also like to dig. However, I always remember to call first before I start on my next project. You see, Laclede and other utilities bury their service lines underground and I don’t want to break a natural gas pipeline or anything else which might interrupt service or cause me to get hurt. Keep this in mind the next time you or a member of your family plans a digging project in your yard. Before you start, call 1-800-DIG-RITE (1-800-344-7483) or visit www.mo1call.com. Dig Rite contacts all the companies around St. Louis that might have pipes and cables underground at your home. Those companies, like Laclede Gas, will come to your home and mark on the grass with spray paint where those cables and pipes are located under the ground. Sometimes, they might put flags in the grass too. Be sure to leave those flags alone if you ever see them in your yard or your neighbor’s yard. Then, when your mom and dad are ready to start digging, they can do so carefully with a hand shovel. Always be safe—call DIG RITE before you dig.

Let gas pipes be gas pipes

See those pipes in the basement? Some of those might be natural gas pipes. That’s where natural gas flows through to heat your home. Do not hang from, play, or use the pipes to support any kind of object. Make sure there are no flammable (anything that can catch on fire) materials next to the furnace or pipes. The pipes should also be free of rust. If you notice that the pipes have a lot of rust on them, tell a grown up to contact Laclede at 314-621-6960 or 800-887-4173.

Check your furnace and flue

Ask your mom and dad to make sure that the furnace and fireplace are clean and in good working order. Fireplaces and furnaces should be inspected before they are used for the heating season. Over the summer, chimneys, vents, and flues (the opening to the fireplace) tend to collect debris such as leaves, birds’ nests, fallen bricks, dirt, etc. These need to be cleaned out. Your mom and dad can also call Laclede if they want to have their natural gas appliances inspected to make sure they are working right.

Beware of carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you cannot see or smell. It can be hard to detect and can cause harm to you, your family and even your pets. Properly working natural gas appliances like your stove, hot water heater, dryer, and furnace are generally very safe. However it is a good idea to remind your parents to get a carbon monoxide detector with an alarm on it. Carbon monoxide also comes from cars. So, if your garage is attached to your home, it’s a good idea to have an alarm close to the room that leads to the garage. If a CO alarm should ever go off, alert your parents or contact the Local Fire Department immediately and then leave the home.

Watch out for very hot water

Your skin burns more easily than an adult’s! So be careful and if you notice that the water coming out of the faucet is really hot, have your mom or dad check the thermostat on the hot water heater.

Remember to follow your nose—and these helpful tips—to be safe in your home!

Go back to main content | Go back to main navigation

Go back to main content | Go back to main navigation

Go back to main content | Go back to main navigation